The kids have completed registration at the International School in a nearby neighborhood. They will both be going to the same school which will spoil me for sure. They will even ride the same bus! We were told by an administrator that the school was only a 15-20 minute walk from our area. With map in hand we set out for the hike deciding to go through Bundang so we can get to know the area as well. I packed water bottles and snacks in Jason's backpack "just for kicks" not knowing how important they would be later.
We notice sculpture is everywhere and are amazed by the different materials that are used. This piece (see picture right) is just outside our apartment building and uses three different types of stone; granite, marble and limestone. It's impressive in size. Somehow I keep the 10 year old off of it.
We also marvel at the height of the buildings. The urban landscape is really amazing. The apartment buildings can be up to 50 stories high. The shops are small and stacked on top of each other. You have to "look up" since some of the shops can be on the 4th or 5th floor. The signs go up the building and correspond to what floor the shop is on. The walking slows down because we are looking around so much. It is also dreadfully hot out!
We are 30 minutes into the walk and still not that close to the school although we can see it across the highway on the hillside. It is amazing how many people are in this small space.
We definitely attract attention on the street. Jason being so tall and then the three of us behind all blonds. I knew the blond hair was rare but I didn't realize how "attention grabbing" it was.
The heat is only getting worse but we haven't gotten lost yet. We still know where we are on the map!
After crossing under a major highway and coming out the other side into the garden district, we see a sign for the school. One more right turn to go.... straight up the HILLSIDE! We finally find it. The school is on a beautiful campus. We meet a few teachers and sign up for orientation. The hike took over an hour and a half. Needless to say we take a taxi home... which took all of 10 minutes to drive.
This blog is designed to keep my family and friends up to date on our travels. Later it will be our written memories!
Finally and Welcome Everyone!
This is the last posting and I will begin work on turning this blog into a keepsake. I still can't fix the order at the beginning of this blog so I'm sorry if there is any confusion about those events. I will be rewriting the China Page. The latest stitching projects have not been updated but I will do that in time for the cover of the keepsake. Thanks for everything!
No comments:
Post a Comment