Finally and Welcome Everyone!

This is the last posting and I will begin work on turning this blog into a keepsake. I still can't fix the order at the beginning of this blog so I'm sorry if there is any confusion about those events. I will be rewriting the China Page. The latest stitching projects have not been updated but I will do that in time for the cover of the keepsake. Thanks for everything!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

When the day is done.

  It's hard to describe my feelings on leaving Korea.  We did make a home and some wonderful friends during our stay making it more difficult to leave.  None will be forgotten any time soon.  At the same time, I am very excited about seeing family and friends that I haven't seen in a years time.  Here is an account of our last days in Korea.


RETURNING FROM VACATION
  Back from Jeju Island and the packing hits high gear.  We HAVE to go through the last of the stuff and separate clothes that are going on the crate and clothes that are going in the suitcases.  It really comes down to what can we do without until it gets through customs and catches up with us in Austin.  Somehow, we have managed to squeeze everything into 5 checked bags and 3 carry-on bags plus a computer bag and backpack. 


MOVING DAY
  I'm off with the kids to the last Starbucks visit for a quick bite of breakfast and some coffee.  I drop them off at a friends apartment to keep them out of the way of the movers [Thanks again Mark!] and hurry back to the action.   The movers showed up right on time and dove right in.  By the time I returned most of the big stuff was already in a custom box (even my sofa and chairs) and/or taken apart.  The plan was to box up before lunch and pack the truck after.  So far the were right on schedule.  It's impressive to know that 5 guys can pack up all my stuff in 5 hours including lunch!

  Luckily we have a cab waiting for us....and he is flexible since we have to turn everything off before we leave Jeongja.  We head to the big KT building, I have passed hundreds of times on the way to Emart, to turn off the cable and one phone.  Next it is off to the SK building to turn off the rest of the phones.  All this took about 30 minutes.  Meanwhile the skies have opened up and it is pouring down rain.  Monsoon waited just long enough to get my stuff on the truck.  Whew!

  As we finish and the cab pulls away from the curb,  Jason says "Good-bye Jeongja".  Galen quietly starts to cry and I'm right with her.  It rains all the way to Seoul.

THE SHILLA
  Samsung graciously offered to move us into a hotel for a few days.  We decided to pay for the  upgrade to The Shilla in order to leave the country in style!  Jason in all his travels to Korea had always wanted to stay there.  It was the perfect setting to our leaving Korea.  Moving day had taken its toll both emotionally and physically.  We found a restaurant at The Shilla that suited all our palates and chose not to leave the building.  The waiter seemed impressed with our Korean so we finally told him our story of having lived in Korea for the past 11 months.  As we left the restaurant he told us to 'enjoy the rest of our stay' and we smiled back with a nod.  I'm not sure how he meant it but I took it to mean in his country.

LAST DAY WITH DIANE...
  We were lucky enough to meet our Korean language teacher early on in our stay.  Today we were lucky enough to spend our last day with her as well.  We were supposed to visit one more palace in Seoul.  Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate.  It had not stopped raining from the previous day.   Not wanting to take wet shoes on the plane we would have to amend our plans.   Diane, as always, knew just what to do. 

  We piled into her car and headed toward the Samsung buildings.  Inside one of the main buildings on the first floor is a unique arrangement of all the gadgets and technology Samsung builds.  They call it Samsung D'lite.  It is a hands on display of everything from 3D televisions to cameras, phones to tablets.  Since we are going to need new phones upon our return, I figured this was going to get fun.  In addition, there were whole room displays of the home theatre with the 3D technology that showed movies and video games.  Finally,  there were the appliances.... the power tools for inside the house.  There was one display that accented energy usage within the entire house.  The technology would allow you to save energy and completely manage your electricity usage for the entire house!  I'm so looking for that when I get home. 

  A couple of hours later and we have played every gadget and handled every device.  All the kids, including Jason, were very happy!

  Not wanting the outing to end just yet, we head for the National Museum of Korea.  I had been there several times but Jason wanted to see it.  Back in the car and through the rain we go!  Traffic in Seoul is just like any other mega city.  There is lots of it!  I find myself looking through the windows trying to soak up every last bit before we go.  Who knows when we will make it back.

  Once at the museum we stop for a quick snack at the Cafe.  I will definitely miss the coffee here!  Then we head into the museum.  I am amazed at how much of the Korean history I have learned over the past year.  I am also amazed at how many artifacts they have managed to collect through all the turmoil and wars they have been through.

  As the day goes on, we all know what is coming.  The time when we have to say good-bye to Diane.  Through Facebook and Skype we will keep in touch, hopefully Jason and I will get back to Korea someday for a visit, but it won't be the same as the time we have spent with this amazing woman.  She pulls up to our hotel and the hugs and good-byes start... and then,  just like that,  she pulls away from the curb and disappears into the rainy afternoon.

  We all trudge slowly back to our rooms.   We have some time before dinner to finish packing.  Some stuff had to be rearranged in the suitcases to balance all the weight.  After dinner we head to bed.  Our flight isn't until 10 but with city traffic we plan to leave the hotel at 7am.

OFF TO INCHEON AIRPORT
  No problem getting the kids out of bed today!  We hit breakfast, finish packing and greet the taxi right on time.  Traffic wasn't as bad as expected and we get to the airport and checked in with record speed.  I get tagged for "extra" security which in the States would be the equivalent of first base but in Korea is the most gentle patting.  Once on the plane we all settle in for the long, long, long flight.  Movies are watched, games are played and eventually we all fall asleep. 

  Just when I think I am going to go crazy (er) on the plane we get ready for landing.  13 1/2 hours on a plane is enough for me for a while.  We land in Atlanta and the culture shock begins.  Seeing people of all shapes and sizes, being able to read every sign, and understanding all the conversations around you can be very overwhelming after so many months. 

  When the day is done I have to say "Thanks" to Korea for a wonderful experience.  I made new friends and saw some great sites, but it is good to be back in the United States of America!

No comments: