Holes in cities are amazing things. They can tell the history of the city in a very different way by the layers it was built upon. Holes in VERY old cities are even more fascinating... at least to me. Seoul is indeed a very old city.
http://english.seoul.go.kr/gtk/about/history.php
While in the herb market last weekend I spied a group of workers in the street, one was in the hole working, while the others watched (I know typical construction project right?). I think Jason was already rolling his eyes as I went to check out the hole. He knew exactly what I was going to do. Go over and check out that hole!
 |
| Herb market in Seoul with workmen off to the left. |
During the Korean War of 1950s Seoul had seen its share of destruction. Parts of the city had been rebuilt several times. I knew this meant that there would be some type of layering below the surface. Sure enough the workman were doing some type of plumbing work. Jackpot as far as a hole is concerned. Plumbing holes have to be deep. This one was no exception. The hole was quite deep and you could see several layers where debris had been leveled so the city could be rebuilt on top of it.
 |
| Nice and neat layers of rock. |
 |
| The other side of the hole. |
 |
| Close up of the neat layers of rock and debris. |
I pointed it out to my kids and the Metz's. I think they thought it was cool. It didn't matter though I thought it was. The guys on the construction crew appreciated the break and I gawked at their hole in the ground and obviously took pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment