Finally and Welcome Everyone!

This is the last posting and I will begin work on turning this blog into a keepsake. I still can't fix the order at the beginning of this blog so I'm sorry if there is any confusion about those events. I will be rewriting the China Page. The latest stitching projects have not been updated but I will do that in time for the cover of the keepsake. Thanks for everything!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

We Found Herb!

  We have finally found a place in Korea that smells wonderful!  Diane, our Korean Language Teacher, took us on yet another field trip.  This time we went into Seoul to the Herb Market.  Before we even went through the gate you could smell the herbs.   As far as the eye could see were herbs.  As far as I know every type of herb was there, although I will admit I am not an expert.  I was very impressed with all the different types.  We even saw a guy on a bike making deliveries.  In fact he almost ran us over!
First gate to the herb market in Seoul.

Decorative gate at herb market

Diane points out all the different types.  The smell was incredible.

You can just see the guy on a bike delivering goods.
  Through another gate and we entered an indoor part of the market.  The smell was even more concentrated here and just as good.  There were even samples you could try.  People were everywhere buying, selling or delivering goods.  It was definitely a busy market.  A couple of times we got in the way and got yelled at.  We got out of the way the best we could and we all laughed about it... except the person of course.  I think we annoyed them very well. 
Through another gate and we arrive at the indoor market.

Still herbs as far as you can see...just indoors.

 Out the other end of the herb market the outdoor section continued on and on again as far as the eye could see.  We turned a corner and found the garlic and onion section.  In fact, we found the mountain of garlic section that was the most incredible sight.  Its not everywhere you see garlic piled higher than a person!  The lady in front of the mountain garlic seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I took her picture.  The whole group starting laughing afterwards!
Found the garlic!
  The final stop was the powdered section.  Here you could find all the herbs in a powder form which is used in herbal face remedies.  Everything from pimples to wrinkles are solved in all these vats.  Koreans are especially concerned about wrinkles and freckles.  The women want the clearest, smoothest and whitest skin possible.  Yes, I said whitest skin possible.  They go to extremes to avoid the sun.  The exact opposite of America where people pay for tans!
All the herbs in powdered form for the complexion.  Heather was about to dive right in!

No comments: