Finally and Welcome Everyone!

This is the last posting and I will begin work on turning this blog into a keepsake. I still can't fix the order at the beginning of this blog so I'm sorry if there is any confusion about those events. I will be rewriting the China Page. The latest stitching projects have not been updated but I will do that in time for the cover of the keepsake. Thanks for everything!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A couple of holidays I can wrap my arms around.

  It's a little different not being on a western calendar.  "Normal" holidays seem to come and go.  A few sneak up on you,  meanwhile the Korean holidays are very interesting. Take May 5th for example; National Kids Day.  A national holiday to celebrate the future.  We were warned that zoo's, amusement parks and the like would be very crowded for this day.  Luckily Samsung had a HUGE event planned.  Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take any pictures.  This is a Samsung policy, although in hindsight we probably could have gotten away with a few, but we didn't want to risk losing the camera.  So you will have to take my word for it.  The kids had a blast!  All the regular kids stuff;  food, bouncy things, balloons and general children running amok type activities.  Even the teenager admitted to having fun.  We ended the day with ice cream.  Went home and fed the kids pizza while the adults went to dinner!

  Now take today, May 8th,  as another example.  Mother's Day totally snuck up on me.  Not having a western calendar so it's not marked and then not having thousands of western commercials to remind me, I almost totally forgot. I thought it was next Sunday.  Luckily I'm a day ahead and can still send the e-Card!

  I totally got to sleep in which is rare for me.  I had an amazing breakfast with the kids and husband.  I got to talk to my Mom and Dad on Skype.  Then I got to talk to Jason's folks on Skype too.  We totally vegged out the morning talking to people on Skype and watching movies in our pajamas. 

  This afternoon Jason and I went to Seoul to check out the Lantern Street Festival and shopping in Insadong...without the kids.  It was a very different experience to be without the kids for the afternoon.  None of the regular "out with kids" phrases:  I'm bored, I'm tired, My iPod died can I borrow yours (in fact it still has a full charge for the moment) My feet hurt, I'm hungry etc.  It did make shopping and site seeing a little easier not having to keep track of them though.  I got a beautiful shirt and a beaded bracelet.  Jason and I got matching prayer rings from a Buddhist temple.  Finally the gift that keeps on giving is money for shoe shopping while still here in Korea!  Love the shoes here!

  Besides the afternoon away from the kids, it was another odd holiday away from home.  Usually there is some type of large family gathering.  Tons of food prepared and lots of lively conversations taking place.  Wicked croquet being played or some kind of sports on TV.  I'm not sure I even know what they did today back home (or will be doing tomorrow due to the time change).

  All in all a couple of holidays I can totally wrap my arms around....literally.  Children's Day in Korea allowed me to hug the kids all day.  Immediately followed by Mother's Day from America gave me hugs from the kids!  I think the two holidays go hand in hand very well.   (Pun totally intended!)

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments: