We took the plunge today. We totally jumped off the "driving a car in Korea" cliff with both feet and bought a used car. A very used car. I had finally had enough of trying to find a cab driver that would get me to the school from the apartment. Jason and I also felt that we were not seeing enough of the countryside only traveling by public transportation. So using some contacts from friends we did it! We bought a 1996 Hyundai Sonata III with 137,000 kms.
We began our plunge with Kristen driving us to Osan last Tuesday, March 1st. Just outside the Osan AFB main gate we found the Volvo dealership and met Mr. Tony and Mr. Lee. We explained our circumstances and got his opinion on the car. Mainly we needed the car to be reliable but also affordable. If we get sent home in the next 100 days, what could he sell fast. If circumstances change, as they frequently do here in Korea, will it last longer. We went with Tony's recommendation of the Sonata. They sell here quickly and are considered the most reliable car in Korea. Both Korean and Military people like the car. We were sold. We put a deposit down to hold the car and went home to run the numbers.
After about 3 days of deliberating. We decided to go ahead and take the plunge!
We started the day with Heather driving us to Osan. We navigated to the Volvo dealership once again. Met up with the insurance person to sort out insurance. In Korea, you can't even register the car without the insurance first. This took about 30-45 minutes. Back to the dealership we went and then we found Mr. Lee. He drove us to the Registration office where someone was already waiting in line for us. We submitted our paperwork and were on our way.
We even found our way back to Bundang in one shot! Filled up with gas (at about $2 per liter or $8 per gallon) along the way. At the apartment we registered the car and signed up for a parking spot. Galen wanted her new goalie gloves for practice, so up to the school we went. Straight up to the school. No walking to the subway station to find a cab. No trying to finagle a ride with anyone. Just hopped in the car and drove to the school! At the school, I registered the car and put the sticker in the window. I'm all set. Jason is even picking up Galen from soccer practice tonight! I am looking up how to get to Hwaseong Fortress for an outing this weekend! I think the whole country just opened up for us with this one little change.
By the way, we named our little car on the way back from Osan. We kept saying the car wasn't perfect, and it was pretty old, but for the price it was a perfectly nice car (PNC). Hence the name Pink. Don't worry, it's not the color pink, it's taupe. Which does have a pink under-tone in the sun. (Just in case you were picturing Jason driving around Korea in a hot pink Sonata.)
This blog is designed to keep my family and friends up to date on our travels. Later it will be our written memories!
Finally and Welcome Everyone!
This is the last posting and I will begin work on turning this blog into a keepsake. I still can't fix the order at the beginning of this blog so I'm sorry if there is any confusion about those events. I will be rewriting the China Page. The latest stitching projects have not been updated but I will do that in time for the cover of the keepsake. Thanks for everything!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment