The phrase "this time last year" has become common around the house these days. It starts innocently enough in the car or over dinner with a reference to something simple like the weather or a place we visited. It evolves into a complete recollection about a moment in time while in Korea.
This time last year... we had been on an amazing trip to China with the Metz's and were gearing up for our trip to Singapore for Christmas.
This time last year... we were finally settled in to our little apartment and the kids were thriving in school (KIS) and with school activities. David with choir and Galen with basketball.
This time last year... we were well on our way to learning Korean thanks to our wonderful teacher Ms. Diane. These lessons would become important to our stay. The more Korean we learned the braver we became in our travels and exploring.
This time last year...the weather was definitely turning colder and the leaves were changing color. Little did we know we were heading into what would turn out to be a real winter (a first for 3/4 of the family) complete with snow and the coldest January on record for Korea.
This time last year... we had settled in to our Happy Chicken routine with friends. Now, a Friday doesn't go by that we don't reminisce about this weekly event. Good food and good friends never got old and those memories are some of the most fond I keep with me from Korea.
This time last year... I was developing this blog and would discover how much I would enjoy writing it. I tried to write something or do something to the blog on a weekly basis. I got great feedback from family and friends. These days I actually find myself missing it now that we have moved back.
This time last year I had purchased my first pair of pumps in Bundang, making the important discovery of shoe shopping in Korea. My feet fit that country perfectly. Heather and I had so much fun trying on shoes and found some great finds while out and about in either Bundang or Seoul. Often outings would morph into shoe expeditions unintentionally and they would turn out to be the most fun parts of my day. Jason would mysteriously call me moments after shoes were purchased creeping all of us out. It was uncanny his abilities to sense my having spent money on footwear.
This time last year we were trying to figure out what we were going to do for Thanksgiving.
This time last year I had already finished three stitching projects and finishing up a fourth. I have actually stitched more than I thought I would upon my return and finished 2 larger projects since the Summer. Next week I start my annual Christmas project and I'm still working on sketches of my own designs based on inspirations from Korea.
These days, the kids are doing well in school and we have mostly settled back into the house and our more regular routines. Galen is back to playing soccer. David has settled into the middle school choir and robotics club. We all miss Korea. We especially miss the adventures and have vowed to make it a point to discover things around Austin to keep our "explorer" juices flowing. We have already been to a Gypsy Picnic! Who knows perhaps our adventures will continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment